So, once again everybody is sick, so I'm going to use that as my excuse for not posting recently. (We just have colds, but no illness is minor to my sweet little girl, who thinks she's dying and wants to take everyone with her.)
Three weeks ago:
Labor Day Weekend! We drove down to Hermosa Beach to their Arts and Crafts fair. It was basically our substitute for the LA County Fair, which we're skipping this year. (Too big, too hot, too weird - the animal exhibits were sponsored by McDonald's). The Hermosa Beach thing was pretty fun, and since it was coastal, the weather was great.
Santa Monica Beach! I have a policy of no cameras at the beach, so no pics. We did have a great day, though. It was overcast and a little chilly at first, but that meant there were no crowds, so it ended up being good. I went boogie-boarding for the first time this year and had a blast, even though Ryan got stuck comforting Elise, who really wanted to be with me. She loved the water, which surprised me, since we're still trying to convince Connor that it's something worth touching. His passion is the sand, not the surf.
One and a half weeks ago:
Joy School! Connor started his first day of a co-op preschool program we're doing this year. The name makes it sound like a church thing, but it really isn't. It's a do-it-yourself preschool curriculum where a group of moms take turns being teacher. I'll write a more detailed post after next week, when it's my turn to teach for the first time. So far, though, it seems great. You have to pay for the curriculum, but it's definitely worth it, they pack a ton of awesome stuff into every lesson. I'm a little nervous for my turn, since the other moms have done this before with their older kids, but I figure my experience teaching the 3-year-old sunday school (Sunbeams) at church will help a little.
One week ago:
Camping! We drove up the Angeles Crest highway last Friday evening to go camping for the first time since Connor was tiny. I even bought a $120 new tent for the occasion big enough to hold two adults, two kids, two dogs, and a bunch of stuff.
We had to put the kids on the picnic table to keep them out of the fire. Elise has just learned to smile for the camera.
We probably won't take the kids camping again for awhile. Elise is just too little - I think maybe 2 1/2 would be an appropriate age to start taking her again. Despite all the problems, though, we really did have fun! (Well, I did, anyway. You'll have to ask Ryan.) The place was gorgeous, and it was good to be able to say we did it, at least.
4 comments:
Finally! Just kidding...my blog is so old. Those pictures are adorable. It makes me miss you guys all over again. And camping looked like so much fun! Even though I've been in a neighboring tent to screaming toddlers and know that it never is completely fun. But still.
Kelli is totally talking about my kids...there was an instance where we took our daughter, when she was a little over a year, to Lake Powell. She screamed ALL night, for two nights in a row. It was the worst vacation, ever. I am impressed you didn't just make the kids get in the car, and drive home. I totally would have. The fact that you had fun regardless, ensures me that you are a much braver soul than I. Also, good for you, doing the rotating preschool. I'm sure you'll do fabulously when it comes to your lesson.
You'll both note that we did NOT stay another night. And, I did want to pack everyone up at 1am and go home, but the thought of taking the tent home in the dark was just too overwhelming. If she had woken up again that night, I probably would have done it anyway.
Elise smiles the same way you did when you were a toddler.
Huge open mouth deep sea bass smile.
Post a Comment