Tuesday, December 16, 2008

At Last . . a Thanksgiving Post!

Hi again, everybody! I've certainly taken my time getting this post written, so my apologies. We had a great Thanksgiving vacation last month. I was able to fly up to Springville with the kids about 1 1/2 weeks before Thanksgiving, and Ryan joined us the day before Thanksgiving. (He drove up in the van [with the dogs], so we were all able to drive home together.) The flight wasn't as bad as I had feared - JetBlue's individual TV's and kid-friendly snacks kept them mostly occupied. Occupied, but not quiet. I was lucky enough to sit next to an older lady with lots of grandkids at home, so she was pretty patient.


Our vacation in Utah was great. The kids and I were able to spend alot of time with my family, including my brothers and sister-in-law. Kevin actually spent the whole Thanksgiving weekend at my mom's, which was awesome, and Kelli and Kyle were really nice to sacrifice all their free time hanging out with me each evening. We stayed up practically all night playing Arkham Horror, which is really fun despite being ridiculously complicated. (Note: Kevin was in attendance, but he was the one taking the picture.)
Here are some pictures out at my mom and Chuck's property near Elberta. Nobody should know where Elberta is, by the way, but it is very pretty. My mom let the whippets run, and Connor walked for a couple of hours without being carried, I was proud of him. He had alot of fun finding the pink ribbons in the trees that marked the property boundary, and used them like a scavenger hunt to lead us back to the car (he thought we might be lost.)

Connor spent what was left of his strength that evening grinding wheat. He has this thing about licking flour off countertops that drives me nuts, but he's convinced that anything whitish in a canister is a treat, so this was like making candy for him.

Thanksgiving itself was great, too, as always. It says something about me that a day dedicated to being thankful for food (among other things) is my favorite day of the year. It's probably not my mom's favorite, since she does the majority of the work . . .

We left for home Monday night, hoping that night driving would be easier with respect to entertaining the kids. I'm not sure what the verdict is on that. It was definitely easier and less stressful dealing with kids (they slept most of the time), but then there's always that falling-asleep-at-the-wheel-and-plummeting-off-a-cliff thing. That can be stressful, too. We're thinking next time we'll try half-and-half, where we leave in the early evening and get home around 3am.

I guess I'll quickly do the Thanksgiving name tag Kelli sent me, although I apologize at how dorky and lame my answers are. They are sincere, though.

E: Elise, Connor, & Ryan. These guys are my reason for getting up in the morning (metaphorically as well as literally - I'd like to sleep in once in awhile.) I love them more than I thought I could love anything.

R: Relatives. Spending time with so many members of my family reminds me how lucky I am. Family is the most important thing we have in this life, and I'm grateful we have such a great one, both in Utah and all over the country.

I: Income. Just happy we have one. Quite a few of our friends have lost their jobs in recent months, and I know how stressful job-hunting can be. I'm also grateful for how hard Ryan works to support us.

N: Nation. Reading the news is depressing enough on the "national" page, but the international stuff can be truly nightmarish. I'm so thankful to live in a country of relative freedom, peace, and plenty.

N: Nazarene. Okay, this is stretching Google's "N words" search to it's breaking point, but I couldn't find anything else beginning with N. (Thanks, Kelli, for the tip, by the way.) By Nazarene I mean the Savior. Not the kind of thing I normally blog about, but I have to mention my thanks for Him and for our Heavenly Father. Everything good in my life is somehow the result of their love and inspiration.

7 comments:

Keri said...

I love that picture of Conner grinding wheat!

Kelli said...

I think you win the award for putting up the most unflattering pictures of me in one blog! Hurrah! I look horribly pregnant in all of them and I wasn't pregnant!

Kelli said...

But cute pictures and we love your visits.

rain said...

Just FYI, Kelli seriously gets so excited when you're coming down. She bowed out of our bookclub, and makes plans to be with you and your little ones EVERY SPARE SECOND. Not that I'm not aware of my own awesomeness, but, she totally ditches me in order to be with you. Also, this isn't meant to guilt you-entirely-but to let you know that you guys are loved, and Kelli's not just "saying" she loves your visits. Anyhoo, all jealousy aside, your kiddos are so cute and I hope your Christmas is as fabulous as Thanksgiving.

Jyl said...

ok next time you come to springville, you may just have to stop by my house ok? hows the Verdugo Hills ward holding up?

Erinn and Ryan said...

VH misses you guys! Nothing else too different is happening, though. We're not switching to our new primary classes until Jan 11th - I guess the bishopric is having trouble filling callings.

Kyle said...

Somehow I missed this blog entry for quite some time.

Anyhow, I'm ever so glad we have a picture of us playing Arkham Horror. It's necessary to prove our dedication to ridding the world of looming ancient threats in the New England countryside. And I'm constantly being challenged on my dedication to that.