Sunday, May 2, 2010

Biking & Hiking

Okay, first, I have to congratulate my sweet husband who has recently been promoted to Portfolio Manager at work! His boss decided to leave the firm, and Ryan was asked to step in as PM. It's a lot of work (we've been seeing a little less of him lately), but it's a great opportunity for him there, and I know he'll be an awesome team leader. Yay Ryan! About three Saturdays ago, we took Connor down to a friend's bike shop, and got him his first real two-wheeler. The guy there removed the training wheels and pedals, and told us to use it just like his balance bike for a couple days, then put the pedals on and see how he does. So . . .that's what we did. That Saturday he scooted around on it a little, but complained that it was "too heavy". Sunday afternoon we took him around the corner to a quiet, flat street, and let him practice with it for about a half hour, then Ryan stuck the pedals on, we got the camera out, and here's what happened! I was so proud of the little guy.




The following Saturday, we did our second (but first official) letterbox hike. Letterboxing is a little bit like geocaching, in that it's basically a treasure hunt. It's older than geocaching, though, and doesn't use GPS coordinates, just clues you get online. The treasure is a "letterbox", which is usually a small tupperware container hidden out of sight, containing a rubber stamp and a log book. You add your personal (or family) stamp to the log book and write a few comments, then stamp the box's stamp in your own book as a record of where you've been. Basically, it's an excuse to go on hikes. I carved our stamp myself, and I must say that it's awesome. The hike took a lot longer than we planned, since we missed the first three boxes and had to backtrack quite a bit. I, of course, forgot sunscreen, so we all (but mostly just me) got a little burned.
After the hike we went to a playground at Griffith Park where the kids rode their new bikes around. Elise was very proud to have a big bike like everybody else.



3 comments:

Kyle said...

Lobsters are gonna get us. When the lights go out.

You seriously carved that stamp? I'm mightily impressed. Did you use a stencil or anything?

Regardless, seeing Connor peddle about is pretty excellent. I remember vividly learning to ride a two-wheeler. It's momentous.

Kyle said...

Oh, and congratulations Ryan!

I didn't realize he was such a fat cat down at the state capitol.

Erinn and Ryan said...

Oh, I carved it, but I certainly used a template (the lobster is not my original artwork.) I image searched lobsters online until I found a decorative pool tile with a lobster on it. Then I traced it in pencil, rubbed the pencil image onto the stamp block, and carved it with my handy new stamp carving kit. Pretty easy, but fun.