Friday, January 14, 2011

Celebration of Learning

Just before Winter Break, Connor's school held an event called "Celebration of Learning", where the students showcased the work they'd been doing in class.  Connor's class only meets once a week, but since they don't have to cover core academics, they get to do a lot of fun supplemental stuff.  Here Connor's showing me his book (titled The Galliping Horse).  
  
  
He presented his Passion Project (on police officers) the week before in class, but they were supposed to condense the material into a poster for Celebration of Learning.  He was pretty proud of it.  
    
  
Connor read his poem to everyone, showed his favorite pieces from his art portfolio, and participated in a musical number with his "nature shaker".  
   
Yeah, I probably should have made him take his coat off, but he claimed to be cold.
The class actually has about 18 students (K-2), you just can't see them all here.
       
Connor's Poem:


Sandy Hike
Sandy Hike
Rocky log-filled
I was tough that was
fun.
Connor Brown
     
It was fun to see everything they've been working on so far this year.  I'm really glad we're doing this program - it's helped Connor become more confident in his abilities (yeah, he's kinda always been confident, but now it's for a reason!)


A day or two later we were invited by our friends to attend Disney on Ice with them.  The husband's office had offered free box tickets to some of their clients, but nobody took them, so our friends got to take our family and a couple others for free!  Poor Ryan was sick, so he kept Evan at home and missed out.  The best part was definitely the box.  It was like having your own little theater where you could chat, change seats all around, and pass out snacks without bothering anyone else.  The kids loved the show, but the grownups all agreed we probably wouldn't have paid money for it.   I was just proud that I had driven Connor and Elise all the way downtown to the Staples center and back in rush hour traffic without dying or freaking out. 
    
We kept worrying the kids would fall out the front.

3 comments:

Kelli said...

Oh I love that poem. He's so cute. I love that it includes the fact that he's tough. It made me remember the time that we went sledding and he wouldn't let Kyle carry him up the hill because he was too tough.

rain said...

I love his poem, too. There's something about our little men reminding us that they are in fact, little MEN, that makes me smile. Connor is one tough guy. And a smart cookie.

Kyle said...

I really want to read The Galliping Horse now, having sampled his poem.

And I'm glad Felix has such a tough cousin to show him how to shrug off hard hikes, and smear his food all over himself unconsciously, and sing his favorite video game songs.