Sunday, May 8, 2011

Spontaneous Delight, Cousins, and Turning 6

Well, I am so far behind in blogging, I guess I need to speed things up a bit.  Sorry if this post is a bit threadbare!
    
During the first week of March, we got to do Joy School at our house, and this time it was the beloved "Spontaneous Delight" unit!  Basically, that just means "How to Be Silly" and/or "Making a Mess."  I think their title is a bit more dignified, though.  Two of the things we got to do were blowing bubbles in soap water, and playing with shaving cream.  One of the little boys was in a full-body cast from breaking his upper leg a few weeks before, so he couldn't sit on a chair, but he was totally still able to be silly along with everyone else! (FYI - I did get permission to put the kids' pictures on the blog - something I haven't always been careful about!)
   







   
That same week, my sweet firstborn turned six years old.  I don't know why, but six seems so much older than five.  We were planning to do a party, but Ryan had to go to the Bay Area over Connor's birthday to attend the cremation of his dad.  I'm so, so glad he had the chance to do that.  I think it was very cathartic and healing for him.  And anyway, Connor didn't really mind.  We did a family party a few days later.  Connor, once again, preferred ice cream to cake, but we got a small cake anyway.  (Candles on ice cream just don't look right!)
   

   
We were also able to make a quick trip up to visit family in Utah.  We were only there a few days, but we got a chance to see the kids' cousin Felix, with whom Elise is totally in love.  Aunt Kelli and Uncle Kyle gave Connor this awesome crocheted Yoshi, and a DVD of old-school Mario cartoons.  They watched that DVD at least three times in the van on the way home, and it's been their choice for at least half of their TV time since then.  
   







   
We also took a day to go skiing at Brighton with Connor - I think that makes his third lesson now - and he totally scared me with his enthusiasm.  I seriously couldn't keep up with him.  He has yet to experience a good wipe-out, so he doesn't understand what can happen if he isn't careful.  I'm really hoping that realization hits him (ha, ha) before he graduates from the bunny hill!
  
Lastly, you know that thing you do with little kids where you put your feet on their bellies, hold their hands, and lift them up to fly like Superman?  Well, somebody snuck in and got a picture of me doing it to Evan.  He obviously likes it.
   




1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Such cute pics! And some great ideas for joy school! I love the bubbles.
Evan is adorable. I think I shall adopt him when you're not looking.