Sunday, November 6, 2011

Summer Recap

I can't believe I'm almost four months behind.  This is beyond pitiful.  Let's see if I can fix it a little.
   
First, I have to mention this deer.  He visits our yard all the time to eat our apple trees.  Ryan gets mad at him, but since the deer can't walk on one of it's hind legs (it limps everywhere in a pitiful way), we have to be nice to him.  The kids and Ryan sometimes throw him apples just to laugh at how goofy it looks (deer mouths aren't very big, and the apples kinda are.)
   
  
Our summer can basically be summed up in three stages:  San Diego, Spanish Camp, and Utah.  Seriously, this is the shortest summer I can ever remember, and I think it's because I have a kid in school (well, kind-of in school anyway.)
   
   
So, school got out the end of June, and we did our family vacation to San Diego.  Then, the second week in July, Connor started a month-long Spanish day camp.  He loved it, because he got to earn "pesos" for speaking Spanish, which he could spend on fabulous dollar-store toys at the end of each week.  I think we'll do it again next year, but it really ate up a lot of our summer.  I just don't feel like we have time for Spanish lessons during the school year, and it's something I promised myself we'd do while the kids are young.
   


   
In the middle of August, I scraped together all my courage and drove my kids up to Utah by myself.  I'd been wanting to try that for years, just to prove I'm a grown-up, but I didn't dare until now.  It's funny, but having three kids is easier than when it was just Connor.  Now I can say, "Give Evan some crackers!" or "Is the baby choking to death?"  To my children's credit, we made it from L.A. to Saint George without a single stop (yeah, the gas was a little low.)  We packed plenty of snacks and nobody had to potty - I was pleasantly surprised.  We stayed in a Motel and made it to my mom's house by afternoon of the next day.
  
While there, we were able to attend the County Fair!  It was a tiny little production, mainly made up of 4-H projects on display, but I loved it.  That weekend they held their Demolition Derby, and since my mom graciously volunteered to watch both Evan and cousin Felix, I was able to take the other kids.  Kelli already blogged about this, but for those of you who missed it, a storm front blew in after the first competition, and they evacuated the arena due to lightning.  We hung out in our van for about 45 minutes, until somebody gave the all-clear, and finished up the show.  It was pretty sweet.  Ryan totally should have been there - he loves gratuitous car-smashing.
     



Elise was scared that it would start raining,and water would get in her face. 



     
One late afternoon a different storm came in.  (FYI, this is one of my absolute favorite things about summers in Utah - the heat lightning and evening storms!)  Connor got so excited to see weather (remember, we live in L.A.), that he ran out in the rain, shrieking.  He kept coming back to the covered porch, giggling, then running back out in the rain.  It even hailed for a minute or two.  After awhile, we all decided to join him, and had a great rain party.
   








   
My friend Adrienne recently taught me to make old-fashioned sauerkraut, so my mom and I decided to try it on our own.  Basically, you just shred cabbage, pour salt water on it, and stuff it in jars.  We also added a culture powder to make sure it worked right, but supposedly that isn't really necessary.  The final step is to let the jars sit at room temperature in a dark place for a week.  When you open them up 7 days later, you have something that is not only edible, but AWESOME.  I don't even like sauerkraut, and I love this.  Anyway, we were so proud we had to do a photo shoot.
    

    
My mom has been doing Atkins for nearly a year now, and I decided to take advantage of her willingness to cook for me by attempting to break my sugar addiction.  I also wanted to see if I could lose a few pounds, so I went almost completely off carbohydrates while I was in Utah.  I felt so much better.  I didn't have that crazy hunger I'd get at home after eating a high-carb meal, and  I lost ten pounds!  I'm still doing a modified version (I pretty much just avoid all grains and sugar,) and feel tons better than I did before.
  
Oh, and speaking of breaking habits, Elise stopped sucking her thumb while we were at Grandma's house!  We finally bought that "Mavala Stop" nail polish, and it totally worked.  She was ready to stop - I'd promised her an Easy-Bake Oven as a reward when she was through - and I sweetened the deal by giving her a lollipop or some other treat each time I put the nail polish on.  She tasted the "yucky stuff" half a dozen times the first couple days, then just stopped.  No tears or anything - it was a miracle.  Good job, Leesie!
    
It was good while it lasted.
   
I got my mom a miniature lure-coursing machine for her birthday, and we finally got to see how it works.  It's a tool for exercising really fast dogs (or cheetahs, if you're into that).  Basically it just pulls a lure (plastic bag) around a course of pulleys while the dogs chase it.  It was fun to watch, but hard to photograph.
    
Coda the puppy



Circe (the grandma)
  
Kyle and Kelli invited us to crash their friends' slip-and-slide party, which we expected to be kinda lame.  We were imagining "Crocodile Mile" in somebody's backyard while kids took turns sprawling on the ground.  So . . we didn't bring our swimsuits.  Too bad for us.  It was amazing, and the kids had a great time.  (Connor was worried he'd see kids he didn't know, and that they'd wonder why he was there.  It took him about thirty seconds to get over it.)
   







  
On our last day at the whippet ranch, I decided to take some decent pictures of the place.  I love my mom and stepdad's house, it's the perfect antidote to Los Angeles sprawl.
    
An owl lives in this barn.

Did you know that princesses can drive tractors?





Kennel and Back of the House

Baby Coda

Backyard - we played softball here with Connor's wiffle ball set.
Okay, I'm tired of this post, so I'm sure you are.  I'll finish off the summer recap with Aspen Grove in the next  post!

3 comments:

Kelli said...

Aw. That sure made me miss you guys. Now i feel the need to book a trip to l.a. that would actually be fantastic during the winter. It snowed like a milimeter and melted within an hour and im already sick of winter. With a kid who only wants to be outside it is goin to be the longest winter ever.

rain said...

Your mother's home is crazy-nuts. It's like a compound, or something. Very nice. I liked your double rainbow picture.
I think it's awesome that Connor is learning to speak Spanish. It's pretty much a necessity, these days. And, I TOTALLY know what you meant about having the older kids check on the younger ones for you. I love having my kiddos so spread out. It's such a huge help.

Erinn and Ryan said...

You guys are ALWAYS welcome to book a trip to L.A. Just as long as you don't mind sleeping on an air mattress. At any rate, I'll see all you Utah people in a week anyway.