Sunday, December 4, 2011

County Fair

In September, Connor's charter school did their annual field trip to the County fair.  It's a field trip in that we get to go during the designated "school group" time, and it's free, but we don't really do it as a group (although we did run into a bunch of Connor's classmates while we were there.)  My kids' two favorite things about the fair are baby pigs and honey sticks.  We got pictures of the pigs, which always make me want to swear off pork forever.  So cute.  The honey sticks are at the bee exhibit, and they don't even come from those bees, but kids like sugar, and they remembered this from last year, so we got some (no pics, though.)  We also fed goats in the petting zoo, looked at all the other animal exhibits, and the kids got to grind their own cornmeal.  Not as big of a day as last year, but I left a lot less tired!
  




  
We're doing an actual science curriculum this year, so I got a picture of Connor learning about magnets.  They're a lot more exciting for kids than they are for adults, apparently.
   
  
We also went to Connor's school camp-out, but we cheated.  Instead of camping, we cooked and hung out by the fire, then went home once people started getting sleepy.  Evan's just not a good age for camping at the moment (plus, lets face it, I'm lazy.)  All the kids there worked together to build this "clubhouse" out of branches, and we cooked fancy Schreiner's sausages and corn-on-the-cob for dinner.  We learned that corn on the cob doesn't grill well.  At least not within a time frame normal people find useful.  Luckily, semi-raw corn isn't too bad.
   

    
In early September I was released from my church calling as Primary 2nd Counselor, and quickly received a calling to serve as the Sunbeam teacher again - yay!  I'm all about repeat callings, they're way less stressful.  I still even have a bunch of the lesson cutouts.  Plus, I get to have Elise in my class until the end of the year.  I meant to take a picture of the class to give to the old teacher (she moved), but I only got this test shot, then forgot after class started.  We have ten sunbeams right now, but they've given me an assistant, which is fabulous.  I definitely couldn't handle that many four-year-olds alone!
  
  
Last, I had to share this very important picture.  We left church the afternoon after the forgotten class photo (so I still had my camera), and as I started up the van I saw this.
   



2 comments:

Kelli said...

That last picture is monumental. I really do love it. As do I love county fairs for some odd reason :)

rain said...

I am totally ANTI camping. I'm sure it's mainly laziness...it takes forever to prepare, for one night that's uncomfortable, cold, and that I wish was over the entire time. Doing that with a baby? (And babies, to me, are 4 and under), Is WAY too much work. So I think your taking full advantage of all the fun, and eliminating most of the work is genius. Also, your kidlets were pretty adorable in all those pictures. They are so smiley.