One thing I will really miss, though, are the Passion Projects the kids display at Celebration of Learning. They've been a great vehicle for my kids to explore stuff they're interested in, and then teach it to others. We're going to keep this a part of our kids' educations by getting together with our friends for presentations every few months.
This semester Connor decided to study Crystals and Gems. We visited the display at the Natural History Museum, read books, and went digging for Tourmaline in Orange County.
![]() |
| I hand-drew all those internal organs. It took every speck of artistic ability I have. |
![]() |
| Elise's "Do One Thing" (D.O.T.) to make her community better. She was too shy to say it, though. |
On March second, we gave Corinne her first solid food. I decided to go with sweet potatoes since my other kids all loved them, and it was a good choice. She meekly let me put a little on her tongue, tasted it for a minute, then lunged forward for more. It was the fastest I ever saw a baby latch on to a new food!
On a related note, Elise has been breaking out in these horrible itchy rashes every couple of weeks. We took her for allergy testing, but she came back negative on everything, including the most common food allergies (milk, eggs, wheat, peanuts..) A visit to a fourth doctor suggested that it might be an allergy to a less common food, and we suspect strawberries, since she had a bowl of these right before the most recent flare-up. Three weeks without strawberries saw no rashes, but when I gave her a berry yesterday she had no reaction. I guess we'll just have to watch and wait, and keep track of what she eats. Or maybe try lots of strawberries . . .
![]() |
| Allergy Test. Surprisingly, the red dots are still considered negative results. |
![]() |
| Mmmm, buttery. |
In January of last year (2012), Connor set a goal to read the Book of Mormon by the time he turned eight. A couple of kids he knew had done it, and (with encouragement from Ryan and I,) he decided to give it a try. For over a year, off and on, he worked at it, coloring each page he read in a little chart-book I found online. The day before his birthday, he read the last page. We were pretty proud of him. I'm actually amazed at what a fast reader he is. He kind of gulps pages (just like Ryan does), so I don't think his retention is that good, but he absorbed enough to mention things he had read to me. I'm still jealous, though. I'm the slowest reader ever.
![]() |
| Elise Reaches 601 on her Adding Game |
![]() |
| My son. He got a moustache tattoo in a valentine, but it broke. So he completed it in pen. |
![]() |
| Rocketship (Connor) |
![]() |
| Evan never gets tired of the fountains at the Americana. |
![]() |
| Making Candy Cards for Each Other (Connor ate his.) |
![]() |
| Jump-Jump |
























No comments:
Post a Comment