On a Thursday night, almost three weeks into the school year, the kids' school had its "Back to School Night." Ryan and I got a sitter (it's a parents-only thing) and spent some time getting oriented by Connor's and Elise's teachers. I was impressed by how much stuff they had made, in such a short amount of time! I didn't think to take pictures, though, until after we had moved to Elise's orientation, and it was too late for Connor's classroom (sorry, Connor!) So far this year, the kids are both doing really well. They're both near the top of their classes academically, and have done a good job of adjusting to most of the non-academic stuff, too.
 |
| I liked this one. |
During the four days of Labor Day weekend, Ryan went with friends on a huge backpacking trip into the Ansel Adams Wilderness. They had to filter their water and keep their food in bear canisters. Ryan came home a little beat-up and exhausted, but had an awesome time.
 |
| He lost his sunglasses in a different stream. |
While Daddy was gone, we found this crazy giant green spider on Corinne's swimsuit. The second picture is from the internet. It's called a lynx spider, and was bigger than it looks here.
Connor started basketball class again with his friend, Isaac. He still thinks he's entitled to a quarter for every basket he makes in a game. Elise started up with a new level of ballet at her dance studio. It's real ballet now - they're using the barre and everything. Sometimes she says it's too hard, but most of the time she still loves it.
Evan made this picture for Grandma and wanted me to take a picture. Of both sides.
 |
| Elise |
 |
| Ryan made an impulse buy at the pool supply store. |
 |
| Asleep on the Treadmill |
 |
| First Taste of Carolina Reaper! |
 |
| She can unlock the TV, turn on the receiver and PS3, and navigate to Netflix. |
 |
| Evan made a "king hat" all by himself. |
Ryan got tickets to the Hollywood Bowl through work, so we got to take the kids and have a picnic dinner in our fancy box seats. We picked the Simpsons show, since we thought it would have cartoons to keep the kids' attention, but it was a lousy choice. The songs, comedy, and video clips were all totally inappropriate. Luckily, it mostly went over their heads, and they had fun anyway!
Ryan and I had been discussing buying a new minivan, but we hated to get rid of the old one if it still had life in it. Well, on Wednesday the 17th, we started noticing that the van was slipping while going up our hill, almost as if the traction-control was coming on. Ryan researched it, and it was apparently a sign that the transmission was failing. We figured the vehicle only had to make it through the week, and that we'd go shop for a new one that weekend. I parked it at the bottom of the hill, and planned to only drive it to and from school. It made it through Thursday fine, and Friday morning, but right as I was lining up in the pickup line at school that afternoon, it died. Anyway, it was really a huge blessing, because the kids could see me from where I was, so the crossing-guard released them. My friend Claire came and took all four kids to her house (they had a playdate scheduled for right then, anyway,) and AAA came to pick up the van. Ryan, at that exact moment, was at Carmax in Ontario, so when I called him on my cell he just said, "I'll buy this one." All I had to do was catch a ride home with the tow truck and wait in my quiet house for my husband to bring me a new van. It was the most painless car death ever! Cars4Causes picked up the old one the next day.
 |
| Bye-bye, Odyssey! You were a fabulous car! |
The new one is a 2014, and used, but with less than 2000 miles on it. We still haven't figured out how to work everything, but I'm loving the automatic doors, keyless ignition, and backup camera!
Corinney's hair has finally gotten long enough for tiny piggy-tails! she was quite pleased.
 |
| Piggy-Tail Jedi |
Towards the end of September, Ryan's work had a family picnic. It was at a park in Burbank, and had a petting zoo, pony rides, music, games, and some pretty awesome food. It was the most family-friendly event I think Analytic has ever put on. The kids came home totally sugared-up and exhausted.
 |
| Connor loves pigs. |
 |
| "Mo' Hosey!" |
No comments:
Post a Comment