Sunday, November 15, 2015

Taekwondo, First Day of School, and Carpinteria

At the beginning of July, I enrolled Connor and Elise at a Taekwondo studio that had been recommended by some homeschooling friends.  The older kids weren't too thrilled with the idea, but they were good sports and tried it for a few weeks before they realized they liked it!  Evan was scheduled to start in the preschool class, but it didn't start until August, so he had to wait a little while.  By the end of August, Connor and Elise did their first promotion, and earned their white stripes.  I'm already so impressed by how much they've both grown.  Elise is more confident, and Connor has more precision and energy.  Evan is just delighted with his class which has a total of six 4-5 year olds in it.  The studio is really something special.  It's literally a family-run business, with a husband and wife doing all the classes, and their young-adult kids assisting.
  
First Day of Preschool Taekwondo

I love their expressions, contemplating how they were going to break those boards.

Elise's White Stripe

Connor's White Stripe

    
  
One afternoon, Corinne brought this loaded backpack to me and said, "I have my backpack, 'cause I'm going to visit Grandma's house, for REAL!"  So, I sent her out into the cruel world...
    
   
Analytic Investors had their summer picnic around the end of August, as well.  They had kids' activities, the Kogi Truck, and a reptile show at the end.  It was kind of fun to chat with Ryan's coworkers - I hear about them nearly every day, but only see them every year or two.
   






  
Reptile Show

A Toad


September 4 was the first day of Co-op!  Connor started 5th grade, Elise 3rd, and Evan kindergarten.  This is the same co-op we did last year, but expanded.  We've doubled the number of families and grades, plus added a preschool class off-site.  Corinne was probably the most excited of everyone to have her first day of preschool!  I'm on staff now teaching two science classes and an introductory Latin class.  It's kind of stressful preparing everything, but also refreshing to get to pretend I'm an actual professional person once a week!
    
First Day!

Corinne was the only one without a uniform.  They had said they weren't required...
  
"Preschool makes you tired." - Corinne
  
CVLC Students and Teachers
  
  
Miss Heidi is Evan's teacher.  There are six kids in his kinder class.
  
Corinne's First-Day Artwork

Evan's First-Day Artwork 

At the end of that first day of classes, our family took off to go to Carpinteria with all our camping buddies.  It was our first time beach camping, and I can see why everyone likes it!  It has all the fun of both activities, plus the convenience of being in a town full of restaurants.  The only downside is the lack of pictures - I'm nearly always too paranoid to bring my phone to the ocean.  On the last day we took a tour of the Santa Barbara Mission.  It was beautiful, although not as developed as La Purisima.  Much more of a Catholic viewpoint, which was interesting to see.
      


Mission Santa Barbara
  

No comments: