Monday, April 18, 2011

Volleyball Class

For the past few months we've been doing a homeschool sports class on Mondays at the park near our home.  The coach who does these classes does it full time, and travels around Southern California all week teaching fundamentals of sports to homeschool groups.  I was a little hesitant to sign up, since the age range is from 5 to 18, and I worried it would be too advanced for Connor, but I'm sooo glad we did it, because we've met some really great families.  This past session was Volleyball, so Connor (kinda) learned the basics of passing, setting, and hitting.  They paired everybody up by height, (and effectively by skill), so Connor and his friend spent a lot of time just trying to throw the ball anywhere near each other.  Coach stepped in from time to time to help them out.  
   




  
While the big kids were learning volleyball, the moms were talking, and the little sisters were finding sticks.  
   


     
By the end of the eight weeks of class, the kids were playing some real volleyball games.  Connor even scored some coach-assisted points, which he LOVED.  Something I've noticed about homeschoolers is that age differences aren't a big deal.  Different age groups are more willing to play together, and the older ones seem to want the little kids to succeed.  It's really cute.

1 comment:

Kyle said...

That's pretty neat.

I'm not surprised about the age intermingling. It's pretty rigid in public school, the mentality that you are only allowed to mingle with your cohort, at least until the later middle school years.